Viewing devices with LV7.0

Hey all,

I'm still kinda new at LV and trying to get a VI to work that I think I understand.

I've got this VI that reads the analog inputs from a device which is seen by NI DAQ MAX 3.0.1.

I want to use the same VI to read the analog inputs from a device which is seen by NI DAQ MAX 4.2.1.

However instead of reading the voltages (which the test panels see!) I get nothing. I think the device number is correct (although I'm not sure what the number in the parenthesis means, I assume its the default channel?)

It seems like it should be so simple... but I can't get it to work. Does it matter which breakout devices I'm using??

Thanks all,

I look forward to having tougher questions in the future as my understanding grows,

Adam

Hi Adam

As I understand it you have a VI running on one machine acquiring data under MAX 3.0.1 and you are trying to acquire on another machine using the same vi under MAX 4.2.1.

Just a couple of questions.

1) What version of NI-DAQmx are you using on each system? You can find this out by going to MAX then expand the tree to display the Software versions. It may be that your hardware is not supported in the version of NI-DAQmx on the system with MAX 4.2.1

2) What acquisition hardware are you using?

3) Can you take a measurement on each system using the test panel?

4) If you are using NI-DAQmx tasks are they setup identically on each system?

5) Does your vi return an error?

6) You mentioned if it matters which breakout device you are using, what ones are you using? Also have you tried plugging the breakout device from the working system into the one that doesn't work?

1) I'm using NI-DAQ legacy, the Trad DAQ due to the antiquated sub-VI's in the VI of interest.

2) I'm using a PCI-6011 to log from a BNC 2090.

3) The Test Panels read perfectly... maybe even TOO perfectly.

4) What's a DAQmx task?

5) No error; but no viable data either.

6) I haven't tried plugging in the breakout device into the other PCI card only because I don't think the pins line up.

7) Thank you!

~AA

Hi Adam

As I understand it you have a VI running on one machine acquiring data under MAX 3.0.1 and you are trying to acquire on another machine using the same vi under MAX 4.2.1.

1) What version of NI-DAQmx are you using on each system? You can find this out by going to MAX then expand the tree to display the Software versions. It may be that your hardware is not supported in the version of NI-DAQmx on the system with MAX 4.2.1

6) You mentioned if it matters which breakout device you are using, what ones are you using? Also have you tried plugging the breakout device from the working system into the one that doesn't work?

Sorry its a PCI-6110!

Hi Adam

1) I'm using NI-DAQ legacy, the Trad DAQ due to the antiquated sub-VI's in the VI of interest.

2) I'm using a PCI-6011 to log from a BNC 2090.

3) The Test Panels read perfectly... maybe even TOO perfectly.

4) What's a DAQmx task?

5) No error; but no viable data either.

6) I haven't tried plugging in the breakout device into the other PCI card only because I don't think the pins line up.

7) Thank you!

~AA

Hi Adam

You mention that you haven't tried plugging in the breakout device into the other PCI card only because you don't think the pins line up. Do you have a PCI-6110 in both machines?

You need to check if the traditional NI-DAQ driver supports your hardware, to get your NI-DAQ version open up MAX and expand the tree to display Software, down the bottom you will see Traditional NI-DAQ as show below.

post-1058-124873648188_thumb.jpg

Then take a look at this document on the NI site which lists hardware against driver compatibility.

Also you ran a test panel, which will work because they are based on the DAQmx driver, which is the latest driver architecture so it's not surprising that it works. But what you need to do to test your case is make a Traditional NI-DAQ Virtual Channel and then test that. To do so right click on Data Neighborhood to create one. If you can go through the process of creating one and then test it, then it should work in your application. If not then there is likely a compatibility issue.

You mention that an error is not being returned, do you have all DAQ vi's error flowed? If so and you are not getting an error then I would suggest the problem is electrical or connector issue.

To find out more about DAQmx and Tasks have a look through the following tutorial.

Once you get over this issue I would strongly reccomend taking the time to understand DAQmx and how to write measurement code in LabVIEW to use it, its powerfull stuff. Perhaps then look at how you could edit your code to use it.