Help with Sub Panels

Hello all,

I have a general question about the application of sub panels. I don't know enough about them, so my idea/suggestion may not even be possible. Through some experimentation, I have been able to open a "stand alone" VI within another VI that I made in its sub panel. As I understand, this is a fairly common place thing to do. However, my question is - is it possible to do this same type of procedure with a simple program that is not a VI, or even associated with NI software. I'm not necessarily looking for something that can send data back and forth with Labview, but just be opened and accessible within a sub window on my VI. For example, opening paint or something similar in a sub panel. - I realize it is much easier just to have the program running in another window separate from labview, but now that the idea came to mind, I'm curious to know if it can be done.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks,

- Warren.

If the application is ActiveX or .Net and has the ability to be used as container object (contrary to being an ActiveX/.Net Automation Interface which only provides a interface that can be accessed through Property/Method Nodes), then you can do it through the according container element in LabVIEW.

Otherwise there is only an obscure possibility to make the main window of the process you want to embed a child window of the LabVIEW window. This requires in fact only a few Windows API calls, but this is a rather obscure way of doing business, there is typically no way to control the application in any way, starting up the application and embedding it into LabVIEW is an ugly process as the application will first startup as independant process through System Exec and then suddenly get forced into the LabVIEW Frontpanel, and last but not least, depending on non standard menu and window handling of such applcations it can result in strange visual artefacts or even inoperability of the (child) app.

While it is theoretically possible, the most likely reaction you would get from your users doing this is a big: WTF!!!!!!!!

Rolf Kalbermatter

• Like 2

Thanks for the help!

I have been looking into the interfaces. I think they may be what I had in mind, but I'm also curious about the container objects. I'm definately going to do a little research on them too. I also came across another possible option that may accomplish what I have in mind. Visual Studio and NI teamed up to create Measurement Studio. I know that VIs can be incorporated into that, but I have to see how easy it would be to access an external program using Visual Studio. Any comments or help links regarding this possibility?

- Warren.