I am using Labview 8.5 and would like to use the application builder. In this case, the PCs I want to target are clean installs and have no Labview support. So, I want to make a Project Installer.

The program runs on an embedded PC and talks to a custom card through a CPCI bus. Rather than write all the low level code in C, the VISA calls were used. Very simple and it works fine. The NI-VISA Diver Wizard was used to create the files.

The problem I am having is that I don't see a way to include this during the build. What I end up having to do (yea, this was a total desperate attempt as I needed to get it working) was after I installed the project, I installed a full copy of Labview on the target PC without a license, then ran the wizard with the INI file.

In the past I was just mirroring the disk drives so everything was being copied. I have licenses for the images but now I want to use this outside the building so need a better solution.

Is there a step by step guide to get around this.

Thanks for any help.

I am using Labview 8.5 and would like to use the application builder. In this case, the PCs I want to target are clean installs and have no Labview support. So, I want to make a Project Installer.

The program runs on an embedded PC and talks to a custom card through a CPCI bus. Rather than write all the low level code in C, the VISA calls were used. Very simple and it works fine. The NI-VISA Diver Wizard was used to create the files.

The problem I am having is that I don't see a way to include this during the build. What I end up having to do (yea, this was a total desperate attempt as I needed to get it working) was after I installed the project, I installed a full copy of Labview on the target PC without a license, then ran the wizard with the INI file.

In the past I was just mirroring the disk drives so everything was being copied. I have licenses for the images but now I want to use this outside the building so need a better solution.

Is there a step by step guide to get around this.

Thanks for any help.

Well you need to nclude VISA in your installer for starters.

Then you need to include the *.inf file in your project and tell the installer where to put it so that the OS can find it automatically when attatching the device.

The catch is really including the *.inf file in the project.

Shane.

I wish the new versions of Labview were just that simple to include what I want.

How do I even add the INF to the project? I can't find anything in this new tool. After making a project file, I go under the installer properties and Select source files. I would expect to be able to go to any location to select the files I want to add and add them. The tool will not let me.

I have the VISA runtime selected as well as NI-488 under additional installers. In the case of the GPIB, I use the ENET1000. It's a similar problem where I seem to have to install the full version Labview, then run the GPIB wizard to find the ENET1000 to get it working. A whole different problem I am sure.

I am amazed with as much as Labview has changed that tools like the builder are not smarter and more user friendly.

I wish the new versions of Labview were just that simple to include what I want.

How do I even add the INF to the project? I can't find anything in this new tool. After making a project file, I go under the installer properties and Select source files. I would expect to be able to go to any location to select the files I want to add and add them. The tool will not let me.

I have the VISA runtime selected as well as NI-488 under additional installers. In the case of the GPIB, I use the ENET1000. It's a similar problem where I seem to have to install the full version Labview, then run the GPIB wizard to find the ENET1000 to get it working. A whole different problem I am sure.

I am amazed with as much as Labview has changed that tools like the builder are not smarter and more user friendly.

Simply add the inf file to your project and in the build installer drag the file to its desired location. Generally you will want this in Windows inf directory.

post-4959-125363637746_thumb.png

That is the menu I am looking at. When I expland the My Computer, I do not see the entire computers drives, just the top level VI. I thought maybe I could add it under the Dependencies, but I don't see any add feature.

I'm sure it's very simple to add it, I just don't understand how. Maybe you have to use some other program to add. Seems poor at best from an ease of use standpoint. Time to break out the books I guess.

Ah ha!! You have to add it to using the higher level Project Explorer menu. If I select the lvproj, then select the Project and Add, it will not let me add it. However, if I select My Computer, then right click, or select the Add, it then allows me to add. I guess my computer is not considered the Windows My Computer as its been forever.

Easy enough after you know how but not user friendly.

I'll blow away all the installs on my test PC and see if I can get everything to work now.

That is the menu I am looking at. When I expland the My Computer, I do not see the entire computers drives, just the top level VI. I thought maybe I could add it under the Dependencies, but I don't see any add feature.

I'm sure it's very simple to add it, I just don't understand how. Maybe you have to use some other program to add. Seems poor at best from an ease of use standpoint. Time to break out the books I guess.

Ah ha!! You have to add it to using the higher level Project Explorer menu. If I select the lvproj, then select the Project and Add, it will not let me add it. However, if I select My Computer, then right click, or select the Add, it then allows me to add. I guess my computer is not considered the Windows My Computer as its been forever.

Easy enough after you know how but not user friendly.

I'll blow away all the installs on my test PC and see if I can get everything to work now.

As I said, including the file is the trick....

I don't like having to actually have the file n the project before using it in the installer but there you go.

Shane.