Need help with regular expressions

Hello,

I'm trying to parse a version number of format 00.00.00.00 from some telnet traffic.

I get several lines of output from telnet when I send it a "version" command.

I'm using the match pattern function on the returned lines and among the regex-es I used are:

\d\d\.d\d\.d\d\.d\d\

m/([0-9]{2}.){3}[0-9]{2}/

and variants of these, as well as other regex-es.

I always get the version string plus the several lines afterward. as though the regex is being ignored.

Is there anything about how LV implements regex that quirky , or some issue I should know about?

Thanks!

J

Edited by jbabb

Hello,

I'm trying to parse a version number of format 00.00.00.00 from some telnet traffic.

I get several lines of output from telnet when I send it a "version" command.

I'm using the match pattern function on the returned lines and among the regex-es I used are:

\d\d\.d\d\.d\d\.d\d\

m/[0-9].{3}[0-9]/

and variants of these, as well as other regex-es.

I always get the version string plus the several lines afterward. as though the regex is being ignored.

Is there anything about how LV implements regex that quirky , or some issue I should know about?

Thanks!

J

Can you post more of the surrounding data? Also, are you simply trying to extract the version string out of the data?

I don't have LabVIEW at home so I can't test anything, but there's a comment in the help for Match Regular Expression that says:

The Match Regular Expression function gives you more options for matching strings but performs more slowly than the Match Pattern function.

I've had trouble using Match Pattern and fixed the problems by using Match Regular Expression.

I'm also thinking that \d\d\.d\d\.d\d\.d\d\ should be \d\d\.\d\d\.\d\d\.\d\d instead and that m/[0-9].{3}[0-9]/ might be better as ([0-9]\.[0-9]){3}.

I sure wish I could test this in LabVIEW...