Multi-column Listbox Bug *confirmed*

This is a confirmed bug from NI support that was just recently reported. I'm surprised that it hasn't popped-up earlier than this.

Create a multi-column listbox with about 5 columns and 1000 rows of data. Make sure you have 1 or more items selection capability enabled. Now using the selection tool (finger) click on the first row then scroll to the bottom of the list and shift-click the last row. This effectivly selects - highlights ALL rows. After doing this, LV hangs.

At first I thought that LV crashed but eventually it comes back and displays the selection. It seems to take longer to come back with the more rows of data you select. Regardless, this is definitly an issue since no-one will wait 5 minutes or more for a user interface to respond. In all essence LV is crashed.

post-16-1074047738.gif?width=400

• 2 years later...
This is a confirmed bug from NI support that was just recently reported. I'm surprised that it hasn't popped-up earlier than this.

Create a multi-column listbox with about 5 columns and 1000 rows of data. Make sure you have 1 or more items selection capability enabled. Now using the selection tool (finger) click on the first row then scroll to the bottom of the list and shift-click the last row. This effectivly selects - highlights ALL rows. After doing this, LV hangs.

At first I thought that LV crashed but eventually it comes back and displays the selection. It seems to take longer to come back with the more rows of data you select. Regardless, this is definitly an issue since no-one will wait 5 minutes or more for a user interface to respond. In all essence LV is crashed.

I too came across this problem, and the only advice I could find was not to use this listbox in labview. So on the strength of this I decided to build my own activex version of the MFC CListCtrl with integrated sort functions. So if anyone is interested in using my new control just send me an email to mjkilloran@hotmail.com.

I too came across this problem, and the only advice I could find was not to use this listbox in labview. So on the strength of this I decided to build my own activex version of the MFC CListCtrl with integrated sort functions. So if anyone is interested in using my new control just send me an email to mjkilloran@hotmail.com.

Mike

post-4875-1146402527.jpg?width=400

• 1 month later...

For short to medium lists I use the listboxes, but for long lists I have only used tables/arrays for some time now. I never quite noticed a hang, but there has been an obvious performance lag for some time now.

In a few cases where I really wanted certain listbox features and better performance I kept most of the list off screen in arrays and only parsed out a portion to display in the listbox at any one time. This takes a bit more housekeeping, but worked around the bug Michael points out.