Integrate Vb And Labview

I am making a 3-axis Stepper Motor Controlled Antenna Measurement System.

I am controlling the 3 Stepper Motors using VB. I have to log distance and frequency say at every 1mm for say total of 10 mm in X direction. I have written a VB code that will log the distance and plot a graph for that in Excel Spreadsheet.

My question is ... is there any way i can get the frequency reading using LabVIEW? at every 1mm distance traveled and add that to my existing Spreadsheet,

I have to use a HP Network Analyzer(HP8720C)

I am generating a signal in VB say at every 1mm for a total of 10mm of distance. and how can i get "that signal" in LabVIEW and take frequency measurements and integrate it with the same speadsheet.

I know i can write a driver in VB for HP8720C and use it, but i want to use LabVIEW as I am new to LABVIEW

Thank You

I am making a 3-axis Stepper Motor Controlled Antenna Measurement System.

I am controlling the 3 Stepper Motors using VB. I have to log distance and frequency say at every 1mm for say total of 10 mm in X direction. I have written a VB code that will log the distance and plot a graph for that in Excel Spreadsheet.

My question is ... is there any way i can get the frequency reading using LabVIEW? at every 1mm distance traveled and add that to my existing Spreadsheet,

I have to use a HP Network Analyzer(HP8720C)

I am generating a signal in VB say at every 1mm for a total of 10mm of distance. and i want to use "that signal" in LabVIEW and take frequency measurements and integrate it with the same speadsheet.

Thank You

Simplest may be to turn your VB code into an ActiveX control and embed it in a container in a Labview VI. I know this can be done with VB6, I've not tried in .NET

More complex would be to use TCP or DDE to set up a "point to point" comms link between the two applications. Or you could set your VB app in such a way that Labview can communicate with it via ActiveX without embedding- as we can communicate with Word and Excel for example. I have no idea how to write something in VB to do that.

Ok,

I think the best approach for you would be to use the GPIB interface on the back of the instrument to retreive the data into LabVIEW. You will need a GPIB interface card on the PC. Here is a link to NI's website to purchase a GPIB controller:

GPIB (IEEE 488) Solutions

The next step would be to build a LabVIEW driver for this instrument. Thankfully, there are drivers already built for you. Here is a link to download the driver for the 8720:

HP8720C LabVIEW Driver

These driver VI's can be run in LabVIEW. They will allow you to communicate with the instrument and retreive the data you would like. Once you have the data in Labview, you need to then pass it to the spreadsheet. You can use ActiveX to pass data from LabVIEW to another application. I assume your application is Excel?

In any case, it sounds like you don't want to use VB at all. Is this correct? Do you want to develop the entire application in LabVIEW alone?

I hope this helps.