Ethernet VISA from CRIO Possible?

klessm1

I don't have the device in front of me at this moment to see the software installed, but I would have to say yes. If I understand correctly, it is required to download the FPGA code which we have been able to do.

In this case I have the cRIO connected to a hub with the host PC and a programmable power supply (ethernet interface) conneted to the hub as well. Everything is on the same subnet. I can execute VISA commands to the programmable power supply from the host PC running windows, but when I drag it down to the controller in the project and run it I get a VISA open error.

I was able to use the fundemental TCPIP drivers to communication from the cRIO controller to the programmable power supply.

For the VISA definition I was using "TCPIP0::192.168.1.3::3000::SOCKET". Maybe it has to do with the "TCPIP0" definition? I don't know if this is correct for real time on a cRIO.

I found this post on NI's website saying that it can't be done, but it is before 2009 was released. Is the information in that post still correct? Does real time ship with Enet passport?

http://forums.ni.com...uireLogin=False

If not is there any way around it to get Enet passport on the cRIO.

By the way I have not setup the instrument with an alias on the cRIO. Is that required? I would think the TCPIP0::192.168.1.3::3000::SOCKET string in the VISA control would work without having to set anything up.

Edited by klessm1

I tried setting up a TCPIP instrument using max under the CRIO and it said it wasn't supported. The crio I am using doesn't have two ethernet ports so I am assuming to keep determinism they can't add VISA support to that ethernet? Maybe a newer one that has two would work?