Merge Vs Locking in LabVIEW

Any advice or experiences would be a great help.

We tried using the merge paradigm for a while before switching back to locking. There are a couple problems with using scc branch and merge patterns:

• Labview frequently recompiles the VIs during development, even if you haven't changed that particular VI. If you and another person both make changes to different VIs, but each of those changes causes a third VI to recompile, you have to go through the merge process even though nothing has changed from the developer's perspective. That "third VI" sometimes become those "third through thirtieth VIs," and gets very tiring repeatedly going through a bunch of VI that haven't changed.
  • Labview's merge and diff functions work okay for individual VIs, but they don't work at all for .lvproj, .lvlib, or .lvclass files. The lack of .lvclass support is a real killer for us. If I end up with a check in conflict with a .lvclass file, the best thing to do is close the project, get latest, reopen the project, and recreate all my changes. (Yes, sometimes that's a lot of work that gets thrown away.) There's simply no good way to merge any of those file types and given the way Labview works they change very often.

I like the idea of branch and merge, but in practice it just doesn't work very well in Labview.