replace build procedure with custom build

Howdy,

I am wondering if it is possible to replace the befault build pocedure with a custon build procedure. I would like to interject a VI that would run before the build application process that would check for some custom requirements before allowing the build. This would be for building an Application(exe). I know I can programaticaly build something using a build spec, but what I want to know is if I can override the right click on the build spec process from the project with my own process. If I could have the build process run a VI post build that would even be acceptable.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

cross post: http://forums.ni.com...hread.id=473656

Edited by RyanPodsim

Howdy,

I am wondering if it is possible to replace the befault build pocedure with a custon build procedure. I would like to interject a VI that would run before the build application process that would check for some custom requirements before allowing the build. This would be for building an Application(exe). I know I can programaticaly build something using a build spec, but what I want to know is if I can override the right click on the build spec process from the project with my own process. If I could have the build process run a VI post build that would even be acceptable.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

cross post: http://forums.ni.com...hread.id=473656

(my answer also cross posted)

The answer to your prayers lies in the OpenG builder it is part of the OpenG software tools, also search for the OpenG builder of Lava there are quite a lot of references to it

I have been using the OpenG builder for a couple of years now and one of the major advantages it gives is methods to run pre and post build scripts and also plugin scripts during the builds.

We control our VI's within ClearCase and using the OpenG builder I can automatically set the correct configuration specification before a build and check out a revision file and some other stuff. Also during the build I can generate a BOM list (Bill of Materials) and after I can automatically check the built file into ClearCase if I want.

I will say it is not without it's own little niggles, it builds slower than the normal NI build for example, but for now it will provide what you are looking for.

cheers

DannyT

Edited by dannyt

Thanks, I'll take a look at the OpenG builder.

One more option I forgot the mention, is here on LabVIEW, I have just started playing with jgcode's Build Script it runs in LabVIEW 8.6, I am trying to get it working for myself in LabVIEW 8.2.1 and from the little play I have had with it so far, I could be a pretty powerful tool.

Dannyt