An introduction and a couple questions.

Bryan

Hello Gentlemen!

I just joined the board yesterday. Nice place you have here!

I've been programming in LabVIEW since I graduated college in 1999 and have worked with LabVIEW from 5.1 -> 7 Express (Soon to upgrade to 7.1). My overall fort

I tried executing script commands from LabVIEW to Tcl through TCP/IP, but found that if I for example set a variable in TCL, then later tried to retreive its value, I got an error.  (I'm assuming Tcl started a new interpreter with each command sent).

I started looking at TCL and found it interesting. I've created several test executives in pure G but never thought of trying an external script engine like TCL. Going through the TCL docs doesn't give me specifics on the TCP/IP comm you describe. Where do I start with this approach?

When you created test executives in "pure G" do you mean you wrote your own scripting language and develop a LabVIEW interpreter? Isn't G = LabVIEW, or is G a text-based version of LabVIEW. I've heard people say "G programming " and "LabVIEW programming". Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the same thing?

Also, what I did with TCL and LabVIEW through tcp/ip is use the Tcl "Socket" commands found in the Tcl manual. Either in LabVIEW or Tcl, I created a kind of "server" that listens for and acquires connections. I set Tcl up as the "server" and wrote a "client" in LabVIEW.

When LabVIEW connected to Tcl (via address and port) I had Tcl take any string that I sent to it from LabVIEW and use an "EVAL" function to execute it as a tcl script.

Only problem with this is, if I sent a command from LabVIEW such as "set i 1", then next one I sent is "puts $i", I would get an undefined variable error, which tells me that it opens, uses, and closes a new interpreter each time the "EVAL" command is used.

But like I said, if you're looking at communicating via tcp/ip using Tcl, look for the "SOCKET" commands in the Tcl manual. I'm basically a self-taught programmer in all of the languages I know, so while I know some basic and advanced stuff, there are a lot of "holes" in between that I don't know.