Easy editing of Excel - like spreadsheet in LabVIEW

I need to be able to read an spreadsheet file, allow the user to edit it with basic cut and paste functionality, and then save it back to a spreadsheet file. I've looked at about 10 .NET options and this one appears to have exactly what I need will almost no coding required. This is important as the lack of programming time will help the client swallow the cost.

As you can see from the screen shot. That basic cut & paste functionality is built right into the control.

So my question for you all is this: what else is out there that you like better and why? So far I've looked at FlexCel, Byte Scout, Net Advantage, Rad Controls - not sure company name, Syncfusion, DBi, Conponent One and a few others. Rad controls was the close second.

post-8534-127438499445_thumb.png

I've only used them in a read-only implementation, but did you consider the free Office Web Components? It doesn't require an Excel license but then justly won't read/write the XLS format, but that's the only limitation that I remember.

I've only used them in a read-only implementation, but did you consider the free Office Web Components? It doesn't require an Excel license but then justly won't read/write the XLS format, but that's the only limitation that I remember.

Are you referring to the DataGrid .NET control that is in System.Windows.Forms? If so, I looked at it. But it seems that it would require extra programming to get the simple functionality that is wrapped into the Aspose Cell solution. I don't mind writing the read/write xls portion if getting the data into the grid control is a snap.

Let me know if I'm missing something obvious here.

Thanks!

N

How about just using Excel? I don't know if the .NET container supports it (although it probably does), but the ActiveX container supports it for sure. What you get is basically an Excel sheet inside your VI.

The main issue with this is usually if you have different versions of Excel on different computers.

Are you referring to the DataGrid .NET control that is in System.Windows.Forms? If so, I looked at it. But it seems that it would require extra programming to get the simple functionality that is wrapped into the Aspose Cell solution. I don't mind writing the read/write xls portion if getting the data into the grid control is a snap.

Nope, these are a separate OLE component: Office Web Components. Not sure how easy it is to pass data *into* the control, I didn't realize that was part of what you were looking for, I thought you just needed a spreadsheet interface. YMMV.

How about just using Excel? I don't know if the .NET container supports it (although it probably does), but the ActiveX container supports it for sure. What you get is basically an Excel sheet inside your VI.

The main issue with this is usually if you have different versions of Excel on different computers.

Thanks for the reminder!!! When I looked into Excel, I did find Microsoft Office Spreadsheet 11.0. I think I had to download it from another location. But it is only an Active X solution. At the time, it was not immediately obvious how to get data into the control. Of course, after reading your post, it was immediately obvious. :frusty:

If you are thinking about another control, let me know. On the .NET side, I've only found GridDataView in System.Windows.Forms Assembly. If you are aware of another assembly that is installed with Office, let me know.

Thanks a bunch!!!!