I have been asked by the installation builder to insert LV DVD's to generate the installer.

I understand that this has been covered, but the best option I can see is to copy the Install DVD's to the hard drive or a server to point at during the installer build process.

This is fine but my IM department have my copy of the LV installer, which is frustrating if each time a new update comes in and I have to get it and copy it to a hard drive or server.

Is there seriously not a way for this to use the files on the PC? I have everything needed for the installation on my machine and all the components required to make the installer?

I have the update, 8.6.1 on my desk, is there a way for me to change something a reg setting or something in the .LVProj file that will allow me to use the update discs?

You have all the *installed* files on your PC, but that's not enough to include for a fresh installation. The installer needs to change reigstry settings, the target PC might have folders in different places and might need different files to what you have (you might already have other products installed that share files, but their versions could be different, etc), so there's a whole bunch of reasons why you wouldn't be able to just include the files in the installer. Sorry that it's not the answer you wanted, but your installer needs access to the NI installer files. I'd suggest that you try to make the copying to a server location part of someone else's job :) Out IT department does it for us, so whenever we get the developer suite (quarterly) it shows up on a network share in a known structure within 24 hours.