Although I am hoping someone has some insight into this matter - this might be considered more of a rant than an actually request for help.

I thought I'd like to 'simplify' the installation of multiple built applications on one computer by first installing the LabVIEW runtime engine, then simply copying the .exe's. To do this I downloaded the entire LV Runtime installer (over 30MB!) then installed it on a couple test stations where I'll be running several LabVIEW applications.

I then copied a few executables onto the desktop and tried to run them. I immediately got the following error:

Error -1073807202 occurred at an unidentified location

Possible reason(s):

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF009E) A code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.

Since I do not have an installer for this particular application, I ran an msi installation of another unrelated application, which causes the first application to start running fine.

(both of these applications use VISA based serial IO)

So ... I am guessing that the regular LV Runtime installer does not install VISA the same way that it gets installed when included with a built application?

Perhaps I am missing something but I really don't understand why installing the runtime engine separately shouldn't work. For this to work would I need to do a separate 40+ MB VISA installation? (you would think that at 30MB - the runtime would include VISA serial IO capability) I must have assumed wrong.

Oh well - I guess it's back to building installers. :(

So ...  I am guessing that the regular LV Runtime installer does not install VISA the same way that it gets installed when included with a built application?

Perhaps I am missing something but I really don't understand why installing the runtime engine separately shouldn't work.  For this to work would I need to do a separate 40+ MB VISA installation?  (you would think that at 30MB - the runtime would include VISA serial IO capability)  I must have assumed wrong.

1157[/snapback]

The LabVIEW run-time installer only contains information for installing components related to running LabVIEW VI's. Hardware communications (like serial) requires different modules that are not included with the "basic" run-time.

You can try a little experiment. Create a blank build script. By "blank", I mean do not include ANY vi's. Go right to the Installer tab and configure it as shown in the attached image. Build the app. Run the setup.exe file on the computer that cannot communicate with the serial port or has errors. Does this fix it? If so, then you now have a serial port installer!

post-2-1089870726.gif?width=400

... Create a blank build script. By "blank", I mean do not include ANY vi's. Go right to the Installer tab and configure it as shown in the attached image. Build the app. Run the setup.exe file on the computer that cannot communicate with the serial port or has errors. Does this fix it? If so, then you now have a serial port installer! ...

Great idea! :thumbup: This is even better than my original plan!

Thanks!

I'd buy you a beer at NIweek - but won't be able to make it this year. :( (too much work)