Utility for Closing Unwanted Modal VI's

Hi All

Have you ever clicked on a dialog (modal) subVI on a running application? Have you ever left a dialog subVI open then run the main application?? And the only way out is quitting the application, via the task manager, with the resulting loss of work.

I too feel your pain....

To combat this plague, I have made a utility that will get you out of these situations with out going for the 3 finger salute. It is quick and simple and no special tool required!

Tim

Download File:post-535-1090468439.vi

• 1 month later...

What a great idea! Modal dialogs also made my life completely miserable when I first started using LabVIEW.

My solution to this problem now is to use the "Compiled?" flag I usually carry globally to set the modal properties for each dialog box I create. The first time the dialog is called it will check the flag to see if the VI is compiled (running in an executable) and set the window property to Modal/Dialog if so, Floating if not. This works great for developing when you're going to compile the final product, but your little app lets you develop exactly as the app will be run, especially if you're not compiling.

For users curious to peek at the source code but can't figure out how to open it, here's one way:

post-360-1095539034.jpg?width=400