Memory handling problems in LV2010 ?

MartinP

I have seen the same phenonomen on several different projects now, on different computers, so I guess I can't pretend its not there any more.

My programs sometimes seems to be using extremely amounts of memory in LabVIEW (run as source code, not executables).

It does not seem to be connected to memory leaks, cause monitoring the memory does not reveal any slow expansion or anything like that.

It is as if there are some special events in LabVIEW 2010 that triggers heavily expansion of the memory usage.

For example, I have a project that normally runs in LabVIEW using a total of approx 325 MB.

But at occations I have seen that LabVIEW and this program uses 1.2 GB (!!) of memory.

Unfortunately I am now not able to see what events that causes this massive expansion in memory.

Anybody seen something similar under LV 2010 ?

Martin

Hi,

Yes I have seen this a lot and reported this to NI during the Beta Testing of LabVIEW 2010.

It only affected the development environment , it appeared to me to need a lot more memory to hold my project than the same code in LabVIEW 8.2.1. Also LabVIEW does not seem to give up the memory when you close your top level VI and go back to the Welcome screen

At one point by playing around, opening and closing different projects I managed to get to a situation where with only the Welcome screen showing has around 1G of RAM in use with LabVIEW. I do feel that the minimum PC requirement of LabVIEW 2010 should be raised to take this into account.

In the Beta forums the NI guys convinced me it was not actually a memory leak, but due to 'pool clean-up' it was a few months ago and I cannot quite remember all the discussions, I got quite excited about this but nobody else seem to care. As you said it does not grow over time it only grows when you open up new VI in some way.

Looking at my LabVIEW 2010 welcome screen only at start-up 100MB, load up my top-level exe RAM goes upto around 200MB close my top level and it stays at 200MB, opening my top-level VI again and still 200MB

This is quite different to LabVIEW 8.2.1

I am not certain, but I think that generally the amount of RAM used for my project is less now I have installed the f2 patch than it was before, however there was nothing in the release notes to say there were changes that would affect that and I may just be me being mad. Do you have the f2 patch installed ?

cheers

Danny

Do you have "Allow debugging" active on your VI's? That's something that's always disabled in a compiled EXE and would explain the difference.

/Y

The "allow debugging" does have an effect on the executable file size and memory footprint, but here we are talking about the development environment just loading you top level in memory to edit / view or run it.