edge detection: save result

Dear all,

I have created a SW, that captures an image (step1), saves it (step2), elaborates it searching edge (step3), shows the results of the elaborated image in a new window (step4) and then saves the elaborated image (step5).

All the process is linear. I mean the image runs straight through all the subvis from the step1 to step5

The image is correctly displayed in the window (i.e. I can see the image and the edges after step4), but when at step5 I try to save it, it is saved without the edge.

Why? Why in the window I see the edge while in the saved image the edge disappear? I'm focusing on the edge because during the elaboration the image is converted in "black and white", and this change is saved while the edge (the edge is searched by the subvi "Search Edge") is not saved.

The image is acquired and elaborated in .png format.

Many thanks,

bulbapeppe

What you see in the image on the screen is a combination of the image and overlays. When you perform measurements (like finding edges), LabVIEW doesn't change the pixels of the image - it instead includes the new information as an overlay, which doesn't form part of the image at all (so the original image isn't corrupted). What you want to do is use IMAQ Merge Overlay - it merges the overlay stuff destructively into the image.

Your explanation has been clear and the proposed solution is perfect. I did as you suggested and now it works properly.

Many thanks.

What you see in the image on the screen is a combination of the image and overlays. When you perform measurements (like finding edges), LabVIEW doesn't change the pixels of the image - it instead includes the new information as an overlay, which doesn't form part of the image at all (so the original image isn't corrupted). What you want to do is use IMAQ Merge Overlay - it merges the overlay stuff destructively into the image.