How to read the name of caller inside his subvi.

Hi all,

I don't know if it's possible, but I would like to be albe to read the path of a Caller inside the subvi.

Let's say that I have many VIs call Mater 1.vi, Master 2.vi, Master 3.vi ..... and a VI call Slave.vi.

The Slave.vi is a subvi of all masters

Is it possible create a code inside the Slave.vi in way to know which is the name of the caller? o_O Something that tell me if the caller is Master 1.vi or Master 2.vi .....

Hi all,

I don't know if it's possible, but I would like to be albe to read the path of a Caller inside the subvi.

Let's say that I have many VIs call Mater 1.vi, Master 2.vi, Master 3.vi ..... and a VI call Slave.vi.

The Slave.vi is a subvi of all masters

Is it possible create a code inside the Slave.vi in way to know which is the name of the caller? o_O Something that tell me if the caller is Master 1.vi or Master 2.vi .....

That's a pretty standard operation using the Call Chain node in LabVIEW.

post-3370-0-02246000-1290096533_thumb.pn

OK, this doesn't answer your question directly, perhaps, but can you explain further what you are trying to accomplish by doing this?

I can imagine a situation where a method (your subVI) operates on any of a number of instances of some component.

In an Object-Oriented world I would instantiate an object for each instance of the component and then pass that object as an input to the subVI. Certainly one could do a similar thing without objects by passing some sort of reference (could be just a VI name) from the caller to the subVI.

Does this get you any closer to what you are trying to accomplish?