NSV change callbacks

For some reason this mechanism is forbidden in LV but seems to be supported in CVI. It appears that

you can do an async read on a NSV and specify a callback function which gets invoked when the NSV value changes.

Does anyone know if it is possible to wrap this functionality up in a dll that would allow me to specify a NSV by URL

and a callback vi to execute.

Although not what I was looking for initially, one thing I discovered that is pretty cool is that you can feed DSC NSV value change events (they propagate up to LV as User Events) to a Event Callback node (normally used for activex events) and you can then wire in a static node for any callback vi that will automagically execute when a NSV changes value. The holy grail would be to generate User Events from NSV changes without the DSC. Now that I know it can be done in CVI it should be possible to create this in LV. I am not trying to get out of paying for the DSC (we already have a license) it is just that I believe, as LAVA citizens, we have the unalienable right to be able to access the entire shared variable API with just LV.