crazy device configuration

vivante

Hallo,

I was working on this topic: I would like to identify which digital lines are reserved on a NI device when I configure some counter input tasks (of course that device must support them).

If, for example, I configure my system to read two encoders (it means DAQ drivers are going to reserve 6 lines A+B+Z for the first encoder and A+B+Z for the second one), which digital lines will be reserved? if I can find out them, I can programmatically define a task to read free (i.e. unreserved) digital lines, without any knowledge of device pinout. Otherwise I must define a table for every device my customers want to use.

doing so I have found this example (see attachment) where I created a task for an input encoder and then I can user all available digital lines as output lines. can you explain me why DAQ drivers don't raise up an error?

If I configure digital lines as input lines Labview doesn't generate any error, but in that case both counter and digiatl lines are input task so I accept that DAQ drivers don't signal an error.

I repeated this test with simulated NI devices and real devices (PCI and USB, like USB 6341) , with LV2009 and LV2010, always with the same result.

More, can someone of you tell me how to discover which digital lines are associated to counter channels?

thank you in advance for your replies.

Vivante

crazyConfiguration.vi