How can I detect if an event is via the User Interface or via a signaling property?

I'm responding to user interface events using an event structure. However, some of those events are coming from a signaling property node. Is there any way from within the event structure to detect the difference between actual user generated events?

You have probably moved on by now but... I was not able to find anything to distinguish between the two sources. (at first I remebered seeing teh "source" property in am image from Jim's book but it did not distinguish between a human and the value signalling source.

Ben

I'm responding to user interface events using an event structure. However, some of those events are coming from a signaling property node. Is there any way from within the event structure to detect the difference between actual user generated events?

You can't do this. However, instead of using Value Signaling property nodes you could use User Events. You can even create a User Event that can be registered in the exact same event case as a Value Change event. The trick is to make the User Event data be a cluster with the exact same event data from the original event type. Then, the Source terminal on the event structure could be used to tell if it was a UI event or User Event.

Attached is an example (LV2010).

More importantly, though, why do you want to know the difference?

User Event Overloads.vi

• Like 1