LabVIEW and computer science students--interesting feedback

We decided to sponsor a senior computer science Capstone project at a university this semester. We suggested (but did not require) that the students use LabVIEW for the implementation. The students expressed an interest in LabVIEW and went with it. We gave them a brief tutorial on LabVIEW and Object-Oriented programming in LabVIEW. The students completed an Object-Oriented implementation of the application.

Anyway, the students just gave their final presentation Friday, and in response to questions (and beforehand to us) said they had a very positive experience with LabVIEW and graphical programming. The biggest hurdle they mentioned was learning how to do programming by-value and not by-reference. (I had mentioned Data Value References to them--for full disclosure--even though we have yet to use one ourselves, but they stuck with by-value objects.) Anyway, they did a credible job and I was happy to hear they liked LabVIEW after working with it on a real project.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Also, we had a positive experience working with the students and the university, and we encourage interactions like this with academia!

Hey, Paul

I've been working with high school students and while they are complete novices at programming, they take to LabVIEW very easily. We don't do OOP but we have been programming cRIOs to make robots. Let me know if you want me to invite you (and others at Lowell) to any of their events. Keep an eye out for the CocoNuts (Coconino High School's Robotics group) and FIRST. I've been mentoring them for 2 years now and absolutely love it!

Hey, Paul

I've been working with high school students and while they are complete novices at programming, they take to LabVIEW very easily. We don't do OOP but we have been programming cRIOs to make robots. Let me know if you want me to invite you (and others at Lowell) to any of their events. Keep an eye out for the CocoNuts (Coconino High School's Robotics group) and FIRST. I've been mentoring them for 2 years now and absolutely love it!

We'd love to come and cheer on the team. Keep us posted! And congrats to the team on what they have accomplished!