Sanity check on globals...

I've been refactoring some prototype code that uses globals extensively. Consider the following situation...

One loop writes to the global infrequently in response to a front panel event. A parallel loop reads from the global on every iteration. My understanding is that LV creates a copy of the data in a global every time it is read (eager copying) rather than waiting to for someone else to attempt to change the global while the data is in use (lazy copying) before making a copy. Eager copying makes more sense for LV's primary market, but I've kind of been talking myself out of it.

Can anyone confirm?

I've been refactoring some prototype code that uses globals extensively. Consider the following situation...

One loop writes to the global infrequently in response to a front panel event. A parallel loop reads from the global on every iteration. My understanding is that LV creates a copy of the data in a global every time it is read (eager copying) rather than waiting to for someone else to attempt to change the global while the data is in use (lazy copying) before making a copy. Eager copying makes more sense for LV's primary market, but I've kind of been talking myself out of it.

Can anyone confirm?

as I understand them...

For any single global...

LV does a copy to all instances of the read when writing to any write local. 20 read locals means copy the dat 20 times bfore the write is done.

Ben

• Like 1