assembly prog for serial port comm in rs-232

vidhmadh

can someone help me with a short assembly program to test the data n control signals when transferring data(eg a byte)using serial comm using rs-232.

2018[/snapback]

I don't know if I can help you if you must use assembler, but I think there is an easier way and you can do it in LabVIEW.

I have written a number of serial and parallel port drivers at quite a low level but the VI's you need to do it are not exposed.

There are two libraries, sersup.llb and serial.llb located in ...LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\instr

These are legacy libraries that have been replaced by the VISA Serial functions.

You can also read and write to the USART directly by using Port I/O functions located in the Advanced palette, but this means you need an understanding of the base port address of the USART and documentation for the registers and their address relative to the base address.

I believe the PC chipsets still emulate the 8251 USART, but this information is readily available on the web.

If you can tell me more about what you are trying to do, I might be able to help you further.

Cheers,

Barrie