Formally Releasing Scripting

Barrie

Didier said:

"I bring up this topic because I just installed LV7.1 on my computer and all the nice vi's referenced in http://forums.lavausergroup.org/index.php?showtopic=208 are now password protected! thumbdown.gif

NI could really make the scripting tools avaliable for everyone, since (I checked) they are there since at least LV 5.1. If they kept hidden, because of fail-safe reasons, I think they are now quite good tested.

Didier"

I don't think it is an issue of code stability, but one of intellectual property and "letting the cat out of the bag". i.e It is a strategic decision, not a technical one.

Sub-VI's are usually locked when the underlying diagram contains some kind of proprietary information. Previously this was often done by confining something clever in a .dll or a CIN, but as more of LabVIEW is written in G, locking it with a password is the best way to go. I would be surprised if we didn't see some form of scripting available in LV 8, but it will probably only be offered as part of the higher end developer suites or as an add-on. ($$)

There is no free lunch :( .

Some have suggested that some VIs are locked to protect us from ourselves but I rather doubt it, because there are some very complex and/or low-level VIs that are not locked, where one could find oneself in a heap of trouble, if you started messing with them.

I have no inside knowledge nor a crystal ball, just my $.02.

Cheers !

Barrie

I wouldn't mind having the scripting possiblities as a tool-box. I probably would even be one of the first bying it. It extends LV so much and one can create help tools for easier programming.

I even doupt there might be some legal problems. The ability to write code from code would mean that one could build some new programming language from LV and distribute it. NI wouldn't be glad seing that people program LV without bying LV development suite...

Didier