Format String into Variant suggestions

I'm currently writing an XML library based on OpenG Data and String functions. I use the functions Format Variant into String and Scan Variant from String to do String<->Variant conversions. It works but I stumbled upon problems that required me to modify these VIs:

- Scan Variant from String can change the data type of the original Variant. If I format any integer type the output Variant alway contains an I64, any floating point type becomes an EXT, any complex type becomes a CXT. This was not acceptable for me so I fixed it

- Both VIs have problems with locale decimal points if no format string is specified. I added a control Default Floating Point Format to specify a default format string for floating point numbers.

StringToVariant.zip

I'd like to contribute my modifications, IMHO they could be useful for others, too. :)

Both VIs have problems with locale decimal points if no format string is specified. I added a control Default Floating Point Format to specify a default format string for floating point numbers.

I don't use either library often, what caught my eye was the locale decimal point part. The addition of a specifier for the separator and the implications are being discussed in the other thread.

• 2 weeks later...