I recently came across a UDP problem using the UDP Receive Vi from the LV examples.

post-584-1098943944.png?width=400

I brought in a UDP read from the pallet and found when I tried to wire it to the UDP open the wire broke

post-584-1098944182.png?width=400

After a few hours of frustration I eliminated every thing except the UDP vis.

post-584-1098944459.png?width=400

:headbang:

I finally figured out that the example primitive uses a TCP reference and the current one

used a UDP reference.

post-584-1098944586.png?width=400

:o

So this brings up a few questions.

Does any one know when this change was made? I have several legacy programs that use UDP and most of them were derived from the LV examples.

Is there an easier way to distinguish between the old and the new primitives?

If I need to get the old UDP Read,Write, or open where do I look?

Thanks in advance.

mballa :blink:

• 4 years later...

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Oct 28 2004, 08:37 AM)

It sounds like you should be using a UDP reference right? This is then a problem with the example code which must be reported to NI for a future fix.

There is a problem with the NI UDP primitives. UDP Write expects a TCP Reference, while all the other UDP primitives expect a UPD Reference. So you can't wire UDP Open to UDP write.

This is crazy. Anyone know the solution?

Thanks.

QUOTE (BartSchroder @ Feb 13 2009, 10:30 PM)

There is a problem with the NI UDP primitives. UDP Write expects a TCP Reference, while all the other UDP primitives expect a UPD Reference. So you can't wire UDP Open to UDP write.

This is crazy. Anyone know the solution?

Thanks.

I'm sure you could use a typecast... But your right, this seems very odd. I'll finally install 8.6 this weekend so I guess I'll experience this myself.

Sorry I didn't see the date up top. Did you still have a problem?

QUOTE (Dan DeFriese @ Feb 14 2009, 12:48 AM)

I'm sure you could use a typecast... But your right, this seems very odd. I'll finally install 8.6 this weekend so I guess I'll experience this myself.

Sorry I didn't see the date up top. Did you still have a problem?

Wonder which version that was?? :-)

UDP VIs used to be VIs implemented in LabVIEW calling into C code ages ago. And yes there was no seperate reference for UDP communication. But this must have been like pre 6.x! Just checked and 5.1 had those VI based UDP functions and there was no separate TCP and UDP refnum type. So either the OPs were working in 5.1 or earlier (stll a very old version for 2004 standards) or had been bitten by either a bug in the upgrade process when upgrading an old VI to a recent version or cross linked themselves something.

Rolf Kalbermatter