jzoller

Back to C++

After a decade of working mostly with LabVIEW, it looks like I'll be getting back into C++ (Linux environment, mostly).  I've done some C++ before, but I've never been good at it... does anyone have favorite resources, classes, or project lists that a lost LabVIEW programmer can use to come up to speed in C++?

Thanks,

Joe Z.

If you are anywhere close to Austin, TX, there is a UT professor that offers a 1-day-per-week-for-three-weeks course that is spectacular. We sent the entire LV team through when we did the cross-over from C to C++ about a decade ago, and we still send new hires through from time to time if they come from a predominantly Java or C# background. Dr. Glenn Downing.

Thanks AQ.  I'm stuck in Colorado, I'm afraid.  It's a good idea, though.  I'll check to see if any local university has a similar program.

My normal process is to skim through a lot of books and find the ones that make sense to my particular mindset.  Starting with Accelerated C++ (http://www.amazon.com/dp/020170353X) and picking a random project to work on.

JZ

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By farzane lk
      Hello
      I have received a LabVIEW dll and the corresponding header files so that I can send a trigger to a skin stimulation device.

when I use the loadlibrary command in my Matlab script, I receive these two errors:  "We don't know the Compiler" and "We don't know the ProcessorType architecture"
      Which means while reading the "platdefines.h", the Compiler and the ProcessorType does not match the ones listed in ifs.
      I have set c++ compiler to visual studio 2015 in Matlab. (also tried MinGW). the system I`m using is Windows 10 (tried on 7, too), 64bit.
      I read somewhere that manually defining the ProcessorType and the compiler might solve the issue. But the problem is I Don`t know what they are. (when these two conditions below are not accepted.)
      #elif defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(_NI_VC_)
              #define Compiler        kVisualC
      #elif defined(_M_X64)
              #define ProcessorType    kX64
      --------------------------------------------------
      How should I find out the ProcessorType and the compiler I have? 
      I`d be EXTREMELY THANKFUL for any solutions you can think of.
      P.S.1 I attached all the headers and the Matlab error.jpg
      P.S.2 The code seems to work fine on manufacturers system with Matlab 2011. so it may be Matlab-related, but I don`t get how since the error is from platdefines header file.

extcode.h
      fundtypes.h
      hosttype.h
      ILVDataInterface.h
      ILVTypeInterface.h
      lv_epilog.h
      lv_prolog.h
      platdefines.h
      STIM.aliases
      STIM.dll
      STIM.h
      STIM.ini
      STIM.lib

• By Fil_Lab
      Good morning. I'm new of labview and I would like to call C++ code from VI for my application.
      I did a
      C++ project, generate DLL and I call it from VI. It's working on my pc but if I make an application for another pc, the application works but the dll is not working. I installed the c++ redistributable on second pc but I had the same problem.
      in particular a message error with "error 42" appears. Can you suggest me some check to fix it ?
      thank you very much for your collaboration

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.