Creating VI from dll file

I have an issue where some vi's were created using labview 5.1. We know want to update to labview 7. I already have the external code and dll from the previous efforts but i need to find a way for this to communicate with labview.

I have had a look at the ni.com website and i'm wondering if the solution is as simple as doing the following:

LabVIEW includes a utility for automatically converting LabWindows/CVI function panel (.fp) files to LabVIEW instrument drivers. You can find this tool in the LabVIEW menu under Tools>>Instrumentation>>Import CVI Instrument driver.

Will this solve the problem so that we can now test the system with labview7. :unsure:

Thanks in advance

--

Ben

--

------------------------

I'm Inside, I'm You

------------------------

Hi Ben,

the converter use the information from the function panel and creates labview vis, if you do not have CVI an C development enviroment from NI you can not create fp (function panel) file. Or you can only create it with a lot of additional work. That I do not recomend.

A simple solution for you would be to mass compile the labview 5.1 vis with 7.

If you do not have the vis available, you can use the call library function node.

But this solution should be the last choice. Try to get the old vis running in labview 7.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
...  I already have the external code and dll from the previous efforts but i need to find a way for this to communicate with labview.

... LabVIEW includes a utility for automatically converting LabWindows/CVI function panel (.fp) files to LabVIEW instrument drivers. ...

...Will this solve the problem 

------------------------

2990[/snapback]

Hi Ben,

First, the bad news:

As Alex said, unless you have CVI you cannot currently make the function panel and the LabVIEW CVI->VI function currently only works with function panels.

Now the good news:

I have been working, in my not so spare time, on a utility to do exactly what you are asking for. Take the external information about the DLL and write VIs to access the functions. At least to populate the CALL LIBRARY NODEs automatically, and then to make the front panel controls and indicators. This is a work in progress and is far from ready for prime time.

However, I need a couple of test cases, and if you could email me the .h file, something that has the function call prototypes in it, I will try to use it as a test case and a spur to get a little more developed

michael.ashe@imaginatics.net

This will be an open source tool when it is finished.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mike

hey Michael

Thanks for the help and support. After working with the problem for a few more days in my new job i found the issue they were having was communicating to an external device via the communications port. the old version relied on some VISA programming and other labview 5.1 tools. My job was to get the communications between labview and the device functioning. I found this was most easily done using the activex box for controlling the commmunications software. After a week of many learning curves i was finally able to get the communications working.

Once again thankyou for all the help and support.

Ben Madsen