Problem after writing to a remote OPC

Hi guys. I've created a small application that occasionally must write a value to a remote OPC server. If the remote OPC item is 16 bit long and I'm writing a 32 bit value, then my application never writes this value again, and somehow destroys the connection handle with the OPC server. I just have to restart my app. Does anybody know a nice way to handle OPC connections ?

Sorry, more questions than asnwers:

How are you writing to the OPC Server?  DataSocket? 

And if the Server is expecting 16 bits, can't you split your data into 16 bits?

Khalid Ansari

3874[/snapback]

Sorry for the delay, i was away for a few days.

Well, to tell the truth my question is about how to handle OPC connections if the OPC server hangs for some reason, and not how i send data. In my ocassion i connect to a SCADA created with WinCC v6.0. If i attach my control to the OPC from the control properties and not by code, then everything is OK. But i would like to give myself the opportunity to select a different tag name from the server, because not all SCADAs use the same tags :)

Anyway thanks for the interest.

I had a similar problem with a data socket (OPC) connection to a OPC-server. Some integer-variables had to be sent as I8. Sending them as I16 or I32 caused the OPC-server to stop responding and it seemed as if the handle had been destroyed. But it had nothing to do with the remote OPC-item name or the handle, it was just the data-type of the variable that caused the trouble.

Greetings,

Toni