enum or ring control with arbitrary numeric values

bekrul

Hi,

I want to set up a control where the user selects a string/text and an associated numeric value is passed along, however, i want to choose the numeric values to be something other then 0, 1, 2, etc.

for example, something like...

modeA (0)

modeB (4)

modeC (9)

It sounds like ring controls are the way to do this, however, i'm using labview version 6.1. i've been unable to figure out how to do this, and ive spent a fair amount of time reading the manuals and fooling around trying to figure this out.

thanks,

ben

There is a topic on how to create an arbitrary text-ring in the NI knowledge base. Unfortunately one would need CVI. There is no other way to have it directly in LV6.1. They appeared in LV7

Here the link:

Arbitrary text-ring

Didier

3850[/snapback]

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'd actually already been using the array indexing method that Michael suggested, i was just hoping to find a better solution. I'm writing VI's that interface to a DLL, and wanted to have the constants that users use in Labview to be the same values as the constants used by the DLL.

However, I dont have CVI setup so i think i'll just have to leave it as it is, and document the differences.

ben

Another option that I use a lot is to put all the information in the item name separated by delimiters.

Then write a simple vi to parse out the information. I prefer this method to the array indexing because if I need to add to the list

I only have to update the enum and not the conversion vi.

post-584-1108086429.png?width=400