Menu bar and tool bar issue with LV2014

eberaud

For the last 3 years our application has been maintained in LV2011. We have recently decided to migrate it to LV2014 so I am currently testing the sources (and executable) in LV2014 to make sure everything still works.

I noticed that when I run the application in the sources, the main HMI (which is the start vi) displays the menu and tool bars even though the appearance settings are such that it shouldn't be displayed. Plus it's not like they are really activated either since I can't click on anything, it looks like a pure display glitch. In addition, as soon as I resize the vi, they disappear and the HMI looks the way I expect it.

The same thing happens with the executable, except the area corresponding to the menu and tool bars displays the Windows desktop instead, like if you could see through the VI... Once again, things get back to normal when I resize the VI.

I've never seen that with previous versions of LabVIEW. Could it be a bug introduced in LV2013 or LV2014? Have you ever heard of somebody having a similar issue?

Thanks!

post-14511-0-17658700-1412787109_thumb.p

post-14511-0-80529000-1412787116_thumb.p

post-14511-0-13598700-1412787120_thumb.p

For the last 3 years our application has been maintained in LV2011. We have recently decided to migrate it to LV2014 so I am currently testing the sources (and executable) in LV2014 to make sure everything still works.

I noticed that when I run the application in the sources, the main HMI (which is the start vi) displays the menu and tool bars even though the appearance settings are such that it shouldn't be displayed. Plus it's not like they are really activated either since I can't click on anything, it looks like a pure display glitch. In addition, as soon as I resize the vi, they disappear and the HMI looks the way I expect it.

The same thing happens with the executable, except the area corresponding to the menu and tool bars displays the Windows desktop instead, like if you could see through the VI... Once again, things get back to normal when I resize the VI.

I've never seen that with previous versions of LabVIEW. Could it be a bug introduced in LV2013 or LV2014? Have you ever heard of somebody having a similar issue?

Thanks!

I've seen similar things occcasionally also in at least LV2013 but nothing that I could pinpoint and so far I think only in applications I received from others and most likely also were originally from an earlier version.

I've seen similar things occcasionally also in at least LV2013 but nothing that I could pinpoint and so far I think only in applications I received from others and most likely also were originally from an earlier version.

I've built EXEs from code that was migrated -- and updated -- along the way since LV 6i and I've not seen this kind of issue in either 2014 0r 2014.

Edited by Val Brown

I've just upgraded from LV 2012 to LV 2014 and have come across a similar weird drawing issue with the toolbar and menu bar.

I have a VI where the toolbar and scroll bars are set to invisible, FP window non-resizable.

When I run the VI, there is a white strip around the VI where the toolbar and scroll bars would be if they were set to be visible.

If I set the window to be resizable, I get a double menu bar, only one of which is operable.

(Tried to post pictures of these but LAVA didn't want to accept them).

I've managed to fix the problem. In VI Properties >> Windows Run-time Position, I had a custom window position and panel size set.

If I turn of the custom panel sizing by ticking the Use Current Panel Size box, the problem goes away.

I fixed my problem by adding twice the same property node right at the beginning of the VI execution: Read the Window Bounds property and Writing it with the exact same value. It's transparent to the user so that's acceptable, but of course I'd prefer a real fix than a workaround...