Writing File on Network Disk

Hi,

I have some little problem writing file on network disk. my application works 24 hours per day (using fieldpoint) and sometimes I have to write some report file (binary or ini file) on network.

Usually I have no problem (I have to write very small files) but sometimes I have long delay. This behavoiur is very strange because network works fine (all my I/O is on fieldpoint network and I don't have problems) but my apps freeze without reason. I have one main question. Is it correct write a file on network using in the same way that I use when I have to write a file locally (FileOpen and then WriteFile and then CloseFile). It will be better write this file locally and then use another application to copy the file on target network disk??

Thanks

Golzio

Usually, on an standard "office network", it souldn't be a problem accessing the network directly, since such networks usually are oversized in capacity. But If you have a lot of traffic on a network segment, and you have to go through this segment to write to file.

E.g. Either when your fieldpoint system uses the whole network-card (on your computer) bandwith and you access the data server through the same card; or when the data server has high traffic, because many other data-collectors stream to this server.

You could also get some problems when you decide to write the report at, let's say, 2 a.m. and your administrator starts the server backup at 2 a.m. (or 1:30 a.m.). Then you try to reach a rather busy server or a blocked disk (since backup software sometime require unique access to the disk while backing up), depending on the backup configuration.

Writing the report locally and then copying the file with the "system exec"-vi (setting "wait until completion" to false) is probably the simplest workaround.

Didier