Express SubVI Finder

Thanks go out to...

Big thanks to PJM labview for his utility to clean up all wires on the block diagram... I couldn't have made this utility without slight modifications to that code (mostly upgrading it to v7.1 which has a few minor differences with the MultiFrameStructure objects).

I've left everything here unlocked for anyone else to look at and modify.

Purpose of this utility...

This utility is designed to be dropped into your LabVIEW 7.1\project directory. It will build a tree of all Express VI instances in memory and their owning VIs. Double clicking an item on the tree will highlight and select it just like the LabVIEW Find utility. Hopefully the next version of LabVIEW will incorporate finding Express VI instances but I needed this now. Actually I needed the ability to re-tag embedded Express VI Instances with a new configuration path, so that's an option too (use at your own risk!).

Other comments on using it...

- I had issues trying to back-convert to v7.0. It shouldn't be that difficult to do but I just don't have the time for it at the moment. I had problems with obtaining the instance VI's in memory, with the Events working right (possibly problems with LabVIEW in v7.0) and undoing the changes I made from PJM's code. Hopefully most of the people who got v7.0 however will have also gotten the upgrade.

- When lots of VI's are in memory it can take awhile to load. I put status messages in to make it a little more bearable.

- When you double-click the tree to find an Instance on your block diagram and the owning VI is large, it can be awhile before it finds all references to all subVI's for the entire owning VI. That's because of the recursive nature that is used to find diagrams (see PJM's code).

- All in all, I had to bang this out quickly so it's not the nicest looking code I've ever made, but then again it's just a tool. I'm sure there are probably optimizations that can be made for it too. If you have questions on how it works or possible optimizations to make it faster let me know!

Download File:post-360-1113414919.llb