How to deal with different DPI settings?

I have an interesting situation. I am developing programs for a small research group where my users have different DPI settings on their machines (some have normal size and some have large size). My system is set to normal size. The front panel of any application I develop is messed up on the machines where the large size is set. Is there a way to make the front panel of my applications look the same in either case (other than forcing everybody to the same dpi settings)?

Thanks,

MikeC

About the only thing I can think of is to replace your text wth graphics. Not that bad for simple stuff, but a pain in the but for anything containing a lot of controls and indicators.

I have an interesting situation. I am developing programs for a small research group where my users have different DPI settings on their machines (some have normal size and some have large size). My system is set to normal size. The front panel of any application I develop is messed up on the machines where the large size is set.  Is there a way to make the front panel of my applications look the same in either case (other than forcing everybody to the same dpi settings)?

Thanks,

MikeC

4547[/snapback]

I have an interesting situation. I am developing programs for a small research group where my users have different DPI settings on their machines (some have normal size and some have large size). My system is set to normal size. The front panel of any application I develop is messed up on the machines where the large size is set.  Is there a way to make the front panel of my applications look the same in either case (other than forcing everybody to the same dpi settings)?

Thanks,

MikeC

4547[/snapback]

I assume you're talking about large fonts... You can, in the .ini file for your app, set a specific font that will override the Windows large font setting. The way I've discovered best to handle this is to set the 'application', 'dialog' and 'system' font setting to custom and select my desired font in the LV development environment for developing the app. Then, just make sure you copy the font setting out of the LabVIEW.ini file into your app's ini file. The font settings look like this...

appFont="Tahoma" 13

dialogFont="Tahoma" 13

systemFont="Tahoma" 13

A couple of hints: I don't set any font in my app (on the controls or indicators, etc.) to anything other than application, dialog or system. In other words, never set a specific font on a front panel, always let the desired font propagate to the controls/indicators via the default methods. Along the same lines, when you're setting, say, the application font default in the options screen, never check either the 'panel default' or 'diagram default' in the font browser. This will make stuff have specific font settings (other than application, dialog or system) and can drive you mad tracking it all down to get everything to match up. Obviously, there are exceptions to this when you may need an indicator or two to stand out or something.

Also, you need to be sure that the font you choose is going to be present on the other machines the app will install on. As best as I can tell, 'Tahoma' is the default 2000/XP font, so that's the one I use.

Randy

I assume you're talking about large fonts... You can, in the .ini file for your app, set a specific font that will override the Windows large font setting. The way I've discovered best to handle this is to set the 'application', 'dialog' and 'system' font setting to custom and select my desired font in the LV development environment for developing the app. Then, just make sure you copy the font setting out of the LabVIEW.ini file into your app's ini file. The font settings look like this...

appFont="Tahoma" 13

dialogFont="Tahoma" 13

systemFont="Tahoma" 13

A couple of hints: I don't set any font in my app (on the controls or indicators, etc.) to anything other than application, dialog or system. In other words, never set a specific font on a front panel, always let the desired font propagate to the controls/indicators via the default methods. Along the same lines, when you're setting, say, the application font default in the options screen, never check either the 'panel default' or 'diagram default' in the font browser. This will make stuff have specific font settings (other than application, dialog or system) and can drive you mad tracking it all down to get everything to match up. Obviously, there are exceptions to this when you may need an indicator or two to stand out or something.

Also, you need to be sure that the font you choose is going to be present on the other machines the app will install on. As best as I can tell, 'Tahoma' is the default 2000/XP font, so that's the one I use.

Randy

4550[/snapback]

Thanks for all the help RandyR