serial communication/send byte

Phantom Lord

Hello,

I am using the FTDI chip FT245BM in combination with an FPGA. I have communication between LabVIEW and the FPGA (leds are lighting up) but when I want to send a byte (so 8 bits e.g. 01010101) then it is always the ASCII code of the last bit (in this case 1) that gets presented at the leds. So when I send the letter A, also one byte is sent. How can I send a byte with "separate bits", so I can see the bits I sent on the leds?

Thanks Filip

I am using NI-VISA. The FPGA controls the FTDI chip i.e. it collects the data if available on the FTDI (when RXF goes low) and controls the RD and WR of the FTDI chip. This is done by VHDL code. The byte is then used to control multiplexers on a pcb that's an extension of the FPGA. The byte sets the enable and control lines of the multiplexers. When the byte is read by the FPGA and sent to the multiplexing logic, a byte is automatically sent back to the FTDI and thus LabVIEW to tell the data has been written.

I hope this is sufficient?

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (Phantom Lord @ Apr 19 2005, 01:09 PM)

Thank you very much! This works perfect. :worship:

I am using a FT245 FTDI chip with FPGA.I need to get the data from the FPGA and read it via the usb port.I am able write the data into the FPGA but not able to read any data.It always says that the device is empty.Please help