File saving

Hi,

The problem that I have is that my program is taking in a spectrum from a spectrometer and it can be seen. Each time a new spectrum comes up, it saves this to a new file. The problem is that each time the user has to type in the file name andclick save. What I need to happen is because I am going to need the program to run for approx 24 hours straight, It is not possible for me to be there each time a file needs to be saved, about every 15 min for the 24 hours. Is there some way that this can be done automatically in labview 7.1. Thank you

Hi Colin:

It is easy enough to open a file under program control, without having the dialog pop up for the user to select filename.

Replace the "File Open" dialog in the block diagram with something like the attached snippet.

post-1144-1114782606.png?width=400

The attached vi, used in the above snippet, creates a name string that is unique for each file, encodes the date and time, and sorts the files in chronological order when you display the directory sorted by name. But you can use any scheme you want to generate a unique name string for each file as it is created.

Download File:post-1144-1114782727.vi

Hope this helps a little.

Best Regards, Louis