LabVIEW Web Server with API Key and client authentication

Hello,

first of all: I'm new to web server in general (non only labview web server)! Starting from the official examples now I managed to realize very simple web server with two methods and SSL communication enabled; it' only a small test that I'm using to understand the basic, than I will create the fully featured one and implement it in my main application.

I'm stuck with the authentication aspect of the web server. I was able to create a group and a permission, set a specific method to accept communication with this permission (auth with username/pw); but my understanding is that, choosing this type of authentication, only request from Internet Explorer (the only browser that's still supporting Silverlight) or from a LabVIEW client will work. In the final application the request to the LabVIEW Web Server will be performed from a client coded in python.

Now I'm trying to configure a LabVIEW Web Server with API-based authentication. Unfortunately, even a simple LabVIEW client cannot successfully communicate with the server. Here you can find some screenshot of the LabVIEW WS settings, the web-based Configuration and Monitoring, the block diagram of the client and its front panel with the reply from the web server.

The LabVIEW client works fine with the same GET string when the server has no authentication or the username/pw. When I try to use the API key solution the response to the client from the server is 403 - Forbidden.

Any help?

Thank you very much!

Marco.

Web server - security of the method getDynamicData. "Require API key" selected.

37392169_WebServiceMethod_securitysettings.PNG.5ee3cfcd873ac7c2e2530f22ac7ecbcf.PNG

Web server. URL Mapping of the method "getDynamicData"

UrlMapping.PNG.358bd6a0c0821cc62bf92dcca4414100.PNG

Web-based Configuration and Monitoring. Web services API key

Settings.PNG.a7c11600c8f4e189e044ac9eb0a30778.PNG

Block diagram of the LabVIEW client

Client_code.png.993aac2729e0afa2e5fda0a326903c99.png

Front panel of the LabVIEW client

Client_frontpanel.PNG.6e61294dc101435104aa3813019e7e68.PNG

• 7 months later...

I'm also getting authentication issues to an Apache server. Did you ever resolve this?

For anyone else, this may help:

cross-post:

How Do I Change the Default SSL Certificate That Ships with LabVIEW?

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019YHDSA2&l=en-CA

Securing Web Services with SSL

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019N27SAE&l=en-CA