Compound arithmetic

Hi all:

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious :unsure: ....

but how come when I replace a two input OR gate with the compound arithmetic operator it goes to the Addition mode, rather than the OR mode :question:

I often make this replacement, and I think in the ten years I've been doing LabView, it has NEVER been my intent to change the OR to addition-- its always been because I need another input to the OR gate. With all the advancements in LabView over the years, cursors that magically pick the right tool according to context, polymorphic VIs that change to what is needed based on what you hook to their inputs, and all that, you'd think an or gate would get replaced with an OR configured arithmetic operator. :ninja:

...or am I embarrassing myself :oops: by playing with this language for ten years without learning an obvious trick :question:

Best Regards, Louis

Why in the world would anyone use a regular OR or AND gate? The "trick" you missed might be to just never use them... that's my trick anyway. The easily configurable compound arithmatic is always easier to use, copy and modify.

I think what you're saying would be nice though... actually what would be nice is if the AND, OR, XOR (etc) and COMPOUND ARITHMETIC were all the same thing, easily configurable with a right-click option, the icon would change accordingly if there were only two inputs, and if there would more it would go to the generic compound arithmetic icon (if there wasn't a better way). That would make things look right logic-wise and still give the programmer the means to easily switch between logic variations.

Why in the world would anyone use a regular OR or AND gate?  The "trick" you missed might be to just never use them... that's my trick anyway.  The easily configurable compound arithmatic is always easier to use, copy and modify.

I think what you're saying would be nice though... actually what would be nice is if the AND, OR, XOR (etc) and COMPOUND ARITHMETIC were all the same thing, easily configurable with a right-click option, the icon would change accordingly if there were only two inputs, and if there would more it would go to the generic compound arithmetic icon (if there wasn't a better way).  That would make things look right logic-wise and still give the programmer the means to easily switch between logic variations.

5492[/snapback]

That sounds pretty easy to do with XNodes...

...but the current compund arithmetic does most of this already. Someone could emulate the compound arithmetic if there were more specific features you wanted added, however.

Why in the world would anyone use a regular OR or AND gate?  The "trick" you missed might be to just never use them... that's my trick anyway.  The easily configurable compound arithmatic is always easier to use, copy and modify.

5492[/snapback]

I think I have to side with Louis here. I still use OR and AND where appropriate. As a graphical language, I want everthing to be as obvious as possible, for that time down the road that you have to re-examine and modify code. The compound arithmetic is not as visually intuitive.

I do agree, that the system should be smarter and replacing a regular gate should include inheriting the characteristics of the original gate.

:2cents:

Barrie