Rough Order of Magnitude?

amw253

I find myself revisiting a suite of C programs I originally wrote over a decade ago :!: with a view to converting them to LabVIEW. The suite uses impromptu TCP/IP-based data flows between functions, allowing for components to be tested and added in parallel, including remote monitoring and control. I've spent some signficant time looking into the capabilities of LabVIEW and have come to believe that an overall redesign isn't required, mostly just a re-implementation (the exception is the X11 graphics - most of which will quickly collapse into a standard LabVIEW front panel).

Now the hard stuff...

I know how many lines of C code there are in the common libraries and individual modules, and I'm familiar with the workings of the original program. I'd appreciate some insight on the following:

:question: Is there a known ratio of C complexity to LabVIEW complexity? Perhaps C lines of code to LabVIEW "Nodes"?

:question: Is there a typical "productivity" rate for LabVIEW programming - excluding design time?

:question: What other metrics should I look at to determine an estimate of time required?

I'd like to assume that the LabVIEW coding will be of the same standard as the original C coding, and coding includes testing, debugging, documentation, etc..

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but is (hopefully) good info' in general:

Benchmark Execution Speed of LabVIEW Applications

It has the following quote, for instance: "... 3 to 10 times reduction in development time you benefit from when you develop applications in LabVIEW..."

I personally have developed both in C/C++ and LabVIEW and agree with the above statement, especially when it comes to measurement and automation systems.

Regards,

-Khalid