Which actions are needed to Deploy new RT main.vi to cRIO 9074 and use new Labview version 2018 and not 2017 at the same time

Hello all,

At work there is an Old 9074 which is running test software. There is also a 9148 connected to the 9074.  I did change the old software tested it in simulation in simulation it works fine. 

What I already did do:

1. I got RAD working, so I can restore the old software
  2. I did install the packages needed for Labview 2018 
  3. I did find I can use MAX to install new software clicking the cRIO --> software --> add remove software gives me the option to install Labview 2018 recommended packages I did this it removed some files and added a lot of new files

Now I do need to deploy the new RT main to the cRIO there are a lot of actions I do need to perform. Can someone please tell me the basic steps I need to take to deploy the new software and test it on the real hardware? Is it as simple as hitting the run button or do I need to stop the old RT main first? Is action 3 above enough or did I had to remove old software?

hope someone can give me an overview, thanx !

On 12/1/2023 at 10:50 AM, Neon_Light said:

Hello all,

At work there is an Old 9074 which is running test software. There is also a 9148 connected to the 9074.  I did change the old software tested it in simulation in simulation it works fine. 

What I already did do:

1. I got RAD working, so I can restore the old software
  2. I did install the packages needed for Labview 2018 
  3. I did find I can use MAX to install new software clicking the cRIO --> software --> add remove software gives me the option to install Labview 2018 recommended packages I did this it removed some files and added a lot of new files

Now I do need to deploy the new RT main to the cRIO there are a lot of actions I do need to perform. Can someone please tell me the basic steps I need to take to deploy the new software and test it on the real hardware? Is it as simple as hitting the run button or do I need to stop the old RT main first? Is action 3 above enough or did I had to remove old software.

If you upgraded the cRIO base system to LabVIEW 2018 I do not see how the old rtexe still could be running. It means the chassis got restarted several times, much of it got probably wiped for good and even if the old rtexe would still be there, it could not load into the new 2018 runtime that is now on the system.

So yes for first tests it should be as simple as opening the main VI and pressing the Run button. Even if you had an old version of the application deployed to the target and set to run automatically (which would have to be done in LabVIEW 2018) LabVIEW will tell you that there is already a deployed application running on the target and that it needs to terminate that in order to upload the new VI code and then run it.

On 12/4/2023 at 1:14 PM, Rolf Kalbermatter said:

If you upgraded the cRIO base system to LabVIEW 2018 I do not see how the old rtexe still could be running. It means the chassis got restarted several times, much of it got probably wiped for good and even if the old rtexe would still be there, it could not load into the new 2018 runtime that is now on the system.

So yes for first tests it should be as simple as opening the main VI and pressing the Run button. Even if you had an old version of the application deployed to the target and set to run automatically (which would have to be done in LabVIEW 2018) LabVIEW will tell you that there is already a deployed application running on the target and that it needs to terminate that in order to upload the new VI code and then run it.

Hello RolfK,

Thank you again for the great help. The terminology is not completely clear to me. Although the 9074 does not run Linux but VxWorks, I try to make a quick compare  between Linux to make it easier to understand for me.

• In this screen from MAX I did click next and did install the recommended software. Is this what you mean with "the base system"? This is the same in linux as apt-get upgrade? 
  • I did not update the BIOS with the button on the left. Updating the bios would be going from Ubuntu 20 to Ubuntu 22? 

Do I need to do a BIOS update to install and test the new version of RT Main ?

17 minutes ago, Neon_Light said:

Hello RolfK,

Thank you again for the great help. The terminology is not completely clear to me. Although the 9074 does not run Linux but VxWorks, I try to make a quick compare  between Linux to make it easier to understand for me.

• In this screen from MAX I did click next and did install the recommended software. Is this what you mean with "the base system"? This is the same in linux as apt-get upgrade? 
  • I did not update the BIOS with the button on the left. Updating the bios would be going from Ubuntu 20 to Ubuntu 22? 

Do I need to do a BIOS update to install and test the new version of RT Main ?

For non-Linux systems and Linux systems before 2018 or 2019 you simply go into NI-Max and install the NICompactRIO Base image for the LabVIEW version you are using to target the controller.

Here I installed CompactRIO 18.5 which is the version needed for the LabVIEW 2018 SP1 development system. there is a lot more installed on this controller but most is not really needed and will get removed in the final system setup.

There is no "apt-get upgrade" on any NI cRIO system at all. For non NI Linux systems everything needs to be done from within NI Max.

And  in fact the base setup for the correct runtime system needs to be done even for NI Linux targets from your host machine.

Once the base system is installed on NI Linux systems, you can then use opkg (not apt-get) on the command line through an SSH link to update the base package to possible bugfixes from the NI servers.

image.png.8e26d8278811c28171cc041857cd23be.png

Edited by Rolf Kalbermatter