LabVIEW and Linux

Torfinn

I am planning to use Linux on a computer, running LabVIEW 7.1 mainly for a variety of DAQ-applications. In some of these I have (in a Windows environment) used ActiveX controls in order to view the contents of a web-page on the front panel. ActiveX is, along with DLL's, only supported by Windows, as far as I know. Does anyone know if this task is still possible using Linux?

And at last: Is there any reason I might should reconsider the Gates-to-Torvalds conversion? (When it comes to LabVIEW manageability..)

Regards,

Torfinn

• 2 months later...
I am planning to use Linux on a computer, running LabVIEW 7.1 mainly for a variety of DAQ-applications. In some of these I have (in a Windows environment) used ActiveX controls in order to view the contents of a web-page on the front panel. ActiveX is, along with DLL's, only supported by Windows, as far as I know. Does anyone know if this task is still possible using Linux?

And at last: Is there any reason I might should reconsider the Gates-to-Torvalds conversion? (When it comes to LabVIEW manageability..)

Regards,

Torfinn

It is easier (and cheaper) to write shared library code to hook things into Linux and if you are a good programmer in that environment you have a lot of flexibility. But with Windows you have a much larger customer base and a lot more functionality available quickly, both in LabVIEW itself and in OS functions like ActiveX, etc. Are your DAQ applications only for yourself? If so you might want to stick with Linux if the apps needs are simple. If you expect to have customers or your needs are moderately complex you should think a bit more.