Upgrade 6.1 to Professional Problems

Phillip Brooks

Sorry to those who surf other boards as well; I'm in a crunch and can't figure out what to do. The more eyes, the better...

I'm trying to upgrade an installation of LV6.1 to use the application builder. The computer was already built and had NI MAX 3.1 and NIDAQ 6.x.x installed. When I do a custom install to select only the Application Builder, the 6.1 Installer indicates that I have a later version of MAX and NIDAQ, and that it will replace MAX and NIDAQ with older versions. I can't "unselect" this!

I don't want to change these; I've spent 3 months developing with the 3.1 and 6.x.x and can't afford to break my code now. How can I install the 6.1 App Builder WITHOUT touching MAX and NIDAQ?! Why does the LV Installer insist on replacing things that should not matter?!

Hmm, If you look into you 6.1 Installation CD, you will see a folder called LVAppBuilder. Have you tried running the LVAppBuilder.msi that's inside that folder? I can't see why you would get this issue if you just run that installer.

Another option is to run the installer on another machine and then copy the App Builder files into the machine that needs the app builder. I don't think registry keys are necessary for App builder to run.

:thumbup: That was the trick, thanks Michael! :worship:

I sometimes get worried about going "outside the box" with all of the layers; VISA, DAQ, MAX, etc...

It was nice to find that LabVIEW is forgiving outside of the development environment too. I've been burned too many times by adding modules/drivers in other languages only to break something else...