Self-altering code bug

AutoMeasure

One of the things I wanted to check with Labview 8 is whether or not NI fixed problems in which Unbundle and Bundle By Name can change cluster elements during editing, such as when rewiring, adding structures, or reordering the cluster. I found that in 2 out of 3 situations, Labview 8 did the right thing while Labview 7.1 did not! The one situation I see where a problem still remains is demonstrated by the attached LV8 VI. Please see my note on the diagram. Thanks for trying it.

For many years I've seen problems (although rarely) with using sub-clusters and Unbundle By Name using the dot convention to denote cluster levels. At times, unbundle elements would change with no apparent causal action on my part. Has anyone else noticed that?

Download File:post-3297-1129928531.vi

One of the things I wanted to check with Labview 8 is whether or not NI fixed problems in which Unbundle and Bundle By Name can change cluster elements during editing, such as when rewiring, adding structures, or reordering the cluster. I found that in 2 out of 3 situations, Labview 8 did the right thing while Labview 7.1 did not! The one situation I see where a problem still remains is demonstrated by the attached LV8 VI. Please see my note on the diagram. Thanks for trying it.

For many years I've seen problems (although rarely) with using sub-clusters and Unbundle By Name using the dot convention to denote cluster levels. At times, unbundle elements would change with no apparent causal action on my part. Has anyone else noticed that?

I played a little with your bug demo and could reproduce your finding. But to my mind, it seems to be an anomaly with the UnflattenFromString. Do another little experiment:

1. make the case structure to show the True case with 'sig.b' and 'ref.b' signal names.

2. delete the wire to the 'type input' of the UnflattenFromString

The signals names shown at the Unbundle will change to 'b' and 'b'. To proove that crippled signal names were sent by the UnflattenFromString, type strg-z to restore the wire; then delete the wire from the output of the UnflattenFromString to the input tunnel of the case structure. See what I mean?

Thomas

• 4 months later...