online animation images from logitech webcam using LabView 7.0

Hi all!

I have made a LabView application that works like a webcam software for Windows.

Those Vi's are capable for video recording in .avi format and snap images in .bnp format.

It works as well online on the Internet using the Web publishing tool. Although i can record and snap images online I can't see the image preview from the web cam online.In particular the client does not receive this function from the vi's i have built.

Can anyone help?The only thing i want to do is to have preview animation image online on the Internet.

I use IVideo Portal to display the images.

It is a property node application.

You can use my application to see what i have already done.

IVideoControl is an ActiveX control. LabVIEW had always problems to get the drawing of an ActiveX control across the network to other clients, since ActiveX really limits the control LabVIEW can have over the control. An ActiveX control normally draws on screen when it likes and without telling LabVIEW that it does do that. So LabVIEW has almost no way of knowing that it should copy the image data over to the client as well and even if it could it would be VERY slow. So an ActiveX control normally remains a black rectangle on a remote screen.

Using a Picture Control instead would work a lot better but it likely would be slower than the ActiveX update on the host PC. The IVideoControl version 1.0 I tried a few years ago, had a bug in the type library for the method to retrieve the data into a pointer. This meant that you couldn't use it to get the image data into memory directly to convert then into a Picture Control image. Maybe that Logitech fixed this issue in the ActiveX controls for the newer cams. The latest driver suppporting my very old cam still contains IVideoPortal 1.0.

I abandoned Logitech years ago, since they were very hostile to anyone wanting more information to be able to write a driver for non Windows platforms (and never reacted on my above mentioned bug report nor did fix it). I got the feeling that Logitech doesn't care about the user once they bought their product and at that time things did cost quite a bit more than nowadays. If I had paid 20 bucks for my cam I could understand that they can't afford to bother about anything once the product is released.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 3 weeks later...