LabVIEW runs, but doesn't do anything!

Hi guys,

I've the following problem:

I read values from a multimeter with RS232 via the Serial input port of the computer. Every second I want to save this value together with the time in a text file. All this is running fine, but after a while the programs doesn't do anything, but it is still running. I measured the whole weekend and I saw in my text file that there was sometimes a gap of a few hours. So it starts running by itself.

Once I saw the program was doing nothing (when I checked if everything was fine), I moved the mouse and after a couple of seconds, it starts reading values again.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks, Joost

Hi guys,

I've the following problem:

I read values from a multimeter with RS232 via the Serial input port of the computer. Every second I want to save this value together with the time in a text file. All this is running fine, but after a while the programs doesn't do anything, but it is still running. I measured the whole weekend and I saw in my text file that there was sometimes a gap of a few hours. So it starts running by itself.

Once I saw the program was doing nothing (when I checked if everything was fine), I moved the mouse and after a couple of seconds, it starts reading values again.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks, Joost

can you describe your hardware a bit?

1 which DMM? (Is it externally powered or battery operated)

2 Laptop or PC?

3 Native Serial port or USB-Serial adapter? (what brand)?

4 Where in the code is it stopping? at the Serial read or the file write?

5 What version of LV ? (using VISA serial functions or old-style serial functions?)

etc.

This will help you and us trouble-shoot your problem.

Neville.

Thanks for your quick response!

- It's a multimeter, powered by the public electricity grid.

- A PC

- Native Serial Port, 9 pins

- The problem is that when I want to look where in the code the program stops, it starts running again! So I don't know....

- I have LabVIEW 6.0 and use the Serial Read VI's

Joost

I think in the LV 6 you could use either the VISA Serial functions or the old-style serial functions. Try using VISA. Also, upgrade to the latest VISA version (3.4 ?) from the NI website, after making sure it will work with LV 6.0 (it mostly should, but pls confirm it).

Also, post a code snippet if you can.

Neville.