SMTP email send message.vi

hi,

I am a beginner in Labview, and came across with this example in the zip file recently. I hope that you all can help me solve this problem. there is a control box: "mail server". what I should type into the box? the description is: mail server is the name or IP address of an SMTP server. could you give me an example on how to type that info into it? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. or if you have any other example related to this topic, you could send it to me also.Download File:post-5026-1147757959.vi

This is the canonical name or IP address of the mail server. In order for "SMTP Email Send Message Charset" to actually send the message, it most connect to a server. The most important thing to keep in mind is that LabVIEW is not a mail server, just a client.

If this computer has a working email application installed, or there is another computer connected to the same network running an email program, you could open the program and look for the outgoing server properties. You should see the name of the server, or an IP address. These are typically named something like "smtp.companyname.com" or "smtp.universityname.edu".

Example image of SMTP settings for Google Mail using Thunderbird.

If your server uses passwords, SSL or unique port numbers, the LabVIEW SMTP Email Send Message Charset" may not work for you.

You can search the LAVA forums using the Search button at the top and the keyword "SMTP", or try Googling "LabVIEW SMTP email message"

• 2 weeks later...
This is the canonical name or IP address of the mail server. In order for "SMTP Email Send Message Charset" to actually send the message, it most connect to a server. The most important thing to keep in mind is that LabVIEW is not a mail server, just a client.

If this computer has a working email application installed, or there is another computer connected to the same network running an email program, you could open the program and look for the outgoing server properties. You should see the name of the server, or an IP address. These are typically named something like "smtp.companyname.com" or "smtp.universityname.edu".

Example image of SMTP settings for Google Mail using Thunderbird.

If your server uses passwords, SSL or unique port numbers, the LabVIEW SMTP Email Send Message Charset" may not work for you.

You can search the LAVA forums using the Search button at the top and the keyword "SMTP", or try Googling "LabVIEW SMTP email message"

i still not quite understand with your statement. let me explain further of my problem,

if I need user name and password to log into a network, does it mean that the SMTP Send Email is not work for this type of system? if it cannot be done, do u have any idea of modifying the example I attached to this message? my plan is to log in to that user name in a network with password encoded, then send the email message to the recipient's email address, so I would like to know how to get that server address from that particular network before I can send that email? your help would be appreciated. and thanks a lot for the help.

Download File:post-5026-1148517859.vi

Your VI works :)

I used it with my network's mail server name, then used my local email address in the FROM and TO fields. When I entered my external gmail.com address for the TO field, the server response window indicated "Unable to relay".

This is a limitation emposed at the server and configured by my company, it has nothing to do with the LabVIEW program.

Once you know the name of your email server, use a local email address for the from and to fields as I did. Then try targeting an external to address field. The messages shown in the response window should help you debug the problem.

As far as security, the VI you posted uses simple SMTP transfer, with no support for authentication. You may need to consider other options if your server requires authentication.

For more info on how SMTP works, try reading this.