LabVIEW 8 External Nodes

Hi all,

I'm not certain if this is known stuff. I just noticed by examining external node front panels of storage VIs in LabVIEW 8 that there is an extra control compared to external nodes in LabVIEW 7.1. I tested adding the missing control to ;DAHR_MergeErrors-src.vi (http://xnodes.lavag.org/) and it seems to run and compile when placed on the block diagram on LabVIEW 8 :D . To get LabVIEW 7.1. created External Nodes to run and compile under LabVIEW 8, add the attached ring control to the front panel of external node and connect it to the only remaining free connector. The ring control "Node type" contains the following items:

UPDATE

READ

QUERY

CREATE CHILD

CREATE

CONNECT

DISCONNECT

post-4014-1149618501.png?width=400

What is the function of this new control is however somewhat unknown to me. EDIT 6.6.06 1825 GMT: I ran some test by using the attached Node_type_probe.vi. I connected the probe to the Node type input of the ;DAHR_MergeErrors-src.vi. It seems that at least when using the external node interactively by placing the node on a block diagram only the UPDATE event is occurs. UPDATE event is triggered a few times when the node is placed on the block diagram, when every you move your mouse over the node, connect the node, add controls to the front panel of the VI that contains the node, wire the node etc. I wonder if the "Node type" input is still unused or if it gets different values when the node is accessed using scripting.

post-4014-1149618552.png?width=400

EDIT: Removed "(XNode)" from the subject line since External Nodes are not really XNodes even though the purpose of them is similar.

Jimi

Download File:post-4014-1149611516.ctl

Download File:post-4014-1149617560.vi