Tri-state LED XControl Example

Creating a tri-state XControl LED was fairly easy. I was able to whip something together in about 15 minutes (including the research time). If you're using LV 8.0, this seems the way to go....

Download File:post-949-1151086483.zip

(OK It's actually quad state. You could change the data 1 ctl from an enum to an integer, then use the color pallete to set the LED to any color you want. You could also add methods to set blinking, etc... )

You could also add methods to set blinking, etc... )

Well, it seems you can't set blinking :angry: . I tried placing a break on the facade vi, and used highlight execution. I learned that you can set the property of the indicator, but the blinking only applies while the XControl facade vi is executing.

This explains a strange behavior I was seeing in that sometimes the LED had a yellow color instead of the red or green that I selected. It turns out the facade vi left the control set to my blink foreground color (my setting is yellow). I changed to orange, and verified this.

Yuck.

What other properties are only applicable while the facade vi is running? What is an XControl, a run VI in subpanel with the connector pane replaced with the data type? Sort of interesting to play with, but not of much value to me at this time (LV 8.0)