Invalid Control Ref w/ FP Closed

So I ran the CtlRefDebug-Sub.vi by itself and removed all of the others from memory. I got an error 1055. So what's the issue?

Why did you run the sub? Typically VI's that are labeled MAIN are the ones taht you're supposed to run.

The issue is that in LV 7.1 I have observed that running the main will throw an error down in the sub because the child fp (which gives the sub the reference to the graph) was not open.

so to keep it really simple

Run in 7.1 throws error

Run in 8.2 does not throw error

Was this difference intentional?

Why did you run the sub? Typically VI's that are labeled MAIN are the ones taht you're supposed to run.
Ya, I ran the sub because I was trying to figure out the issue.
The issue is that in LV 7.1 I have observed that running the main will throw an error down in the sub because the child fp (which gives the sub the reference to the graph) was not open.
I down-converted your code to 7.1.1 and could not observ what you describe. This makes sense really. I don't recall ever getting an error because a front panel is not open (but in memory). Are you sure about this error in 7.1? Perhaps you got the error in an executable that had its' panel removed?

Download File:post-2-1157553136.llb (LV7.1.1)

Norm,

Like Michael, I couldn't get your VI to fail in 7.1.1. Worse than that, I couldn't get a simplified version of my VI that apparently suffers the same problem to fail in 7.1.1 or 7.0 (where the full VI does fail) :headbang: .

It turns out that it is a Register for Events node that fails (in 7.0 and 8.0). I don't have 8.2 installed here, so I don't know if the performance has changed now. You're welcome to try the attached to see if it is what you saw change between versions.

Download File:post-1180-1157570599.llb