Data Log File Refnum Type Def Bug

Original Post:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...ssage.id=204543

Hello, I just found some quirky behaviour (LV 7.1.1): 1. In the attached LLB, open "RefnumVI.vi" 2. Select the Data Log File Refnum control and open it for editing (Edit - Customize Control ... from the menu) 3. Close "RefnumVI.vi" but leave "Refnum.ctl" open 4. Select the enum inside the refnum container, and open it 5. Select File - Save As ... and save the enum as "RefnumEnum2.ctl" 6. Close the enum 7. Save "Refnum.ctl", and close it 8. Reopen "RefnumVI.vi" and display its hierarchy (Browse - Show VI Hierarchy from the menu) Notice that "RefnumVI.vi" still has a link to "RefnumEnum.ctl", even though we saved this as "RefnumEnum2.ctl" earlier. If you go back to the VI, right click on the refnum, and replace it with itself (i.e. select "Refnum.ctl"), the link disappears. This behaviour does not happen if I use a Cluster instead of a Data Log File Refnum. I imagine the difference is that the calling VI needs to know about the structure of the data log file in ways it doesn't need to know about the structure of a cluster, but this still is very counter-intuitive behaviour. Is this really expected? Or is it a bug? Is there any other way to remove the link? Cheers, Jaegen

Confirmed Response:

Jaegen,

I replicated the issue that you found in LV 7.1 and when I tried the same thing in LabVIEW 8.2, the behavior was not there, so it must have been fixed.

The way that I found that you can avoid the link in LabVIEW 7.1 is to select the enum directly from the VI Hierarchy, instead of from the Refnum.ctl and rename it there. It will update the name on the VI Hierarchy and not have links to both copies of the Refnumenum. Feel free to download an evaluation copy of LabVIEW 8.2 and try it out for yourself.

Thanks,

Nathan

Download File:post-2-1158201763.llb